-
July 17th, 2001, 09:06 PM
#1
Inactive Member
I've heard that the colours and images produced with reversal film are a lot better then that of negative film. Up until now, I've been shooting my Super 8 films on negative film. Does anyone shoot reversal? How do you process it? What are the pros and cons of the film?
Thanks,
James
-
July 17th, 2001, 10:10 PM
#2
Inactive Member
James
I shoot a lot of reversal film (kodachrome 40) and the colors are fantastic when projected. I have never Rank Transfered kodachrome 40, but Im almost positive that the colors look great also! I have transfered k40 (regular tranfer) on super vhs and the quality was very nice.
I have heard not so many good things about Ektachrome 160, so I would stick with K40.
The cost of K40 are $8.00 a roll from Kodak if your a student and $10.00 if your not.
It costs me $4.88 a roll to be processed at Walmart (no more than 2 weeks for return). Walmart sends it to Dwaynes, and that a steal!
Ive never shot the negetive films yet, but will soon, Im sure they look great also!
But Im old fashioned, and love working with the film directly, projecting them, editing etc. Its very nostalgic!
Scott
-
July 17th, 2001, 10:27 PM
#3
Inactive Member
Thanks dude!
Yeah I looked into the K40. What kind of processing does reversal film need?
-
July 17th, 2001, 10:46 PM
#4
Inactive Member
Hanthx-where do you get your film for $8 a roll as student. i am a student so that could help me out a lot. thanks
stephen
-
July 17th, 2001, 11:52 PM
#5
Inactive Member
Svideo
I buy my film directly from Kodak, its on there website, but you have to call them direct. I'll give you the number. I live a few miles away from them, so I dont have to pay shipping charges.
Heres the trick.
Call them and ask them to send you a "EDUCATIONAL ALLOWANCE FORM" (most likely they will send you there catalog with all there films in it).
You will need to film out the form, and make a copy of your student i.d., and then send it to them.
They will give you the discount.
James
Im not sure what chemicals they to process k40, but someone surely knows. Alex or Nigel will know for sure.
Hope this helps.
Scott
please feel free to ask any other questions, if I dont know, someone will.
heres kodak's number.
1 800 621 3456
[This message has been edited by Hanthx (edited July 17, 2001).]
-
July 18th, 2001, 06:40 AM
#6
Inactive Member
James:
K40 processing is nearly impossible at home. Very sofisticated process (Kodachrome, not Ektachrome), as the film itself is B/W and the colors are added during processing. Inumberous baths, timing and temperature!
For home processing, only B/W films or the Ektachrome VNF is suitable. But the VNF don?t has a good resolution power and weak color saturation - looks like video.
Pedro
-
July 18th, 2001, 06:45 AM
#7
Inactive Member
Scott:
Wow! I just was thinking I am totally lost and allone out there, loving to really work with film, cutting and projecting it- not only for nostalgic reasons!
---Pedro
-
July 18th, 2001, 07:53 AM
#8
Inactive Member
Pedro!
Thanks bud.
I really enjoy having my own theater at home.
I just showed the doc. I shot too some family members and they had a blast.
Its a lot of fun. We should encourage atleast that much.
Scott
[This message has been edited by Hanthx (edited July 18, 2001).]
-
July 18th, 2001, 11:02 AM
#9
Inactive Member
Pedro, your not alone. I only shoot and edit reversal for projection.
-
July 18th, 2001, 05:34 PM
#10
Inactive Member
I dont think I said my question clearly enough:
After you shoot a roll of reversal film and you want to project it, what do you do?
Do you have to process it like negative film?
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks